As someone with a marketing background, I want to be SUPER clear on what it means when I say that viperheart is using an advertisement, an affiliate, or a sponsorship. I changed up some things on the blog, so I lay them out for you below. If you still have questions after reading this, PLEASE don’t hesitate to ask me! 🙂
Here’s what I used to think of a blogger when I saw a footnote stating that their post was sponsored:
Turns out… it’s more like this:
So… I upgraded to a new, better website platform for my blog. YAY!
Why This Is Awesome:
- I can put dope sh!t in my blog like these slideshows
- I have more free reign to customize the setup of my blog (shout-out to Sugar+Code for the free blog template)
- We all don’t have to deal with those stupid ads that WordPress generated on my old setup
Why This Is Costing Moolah:
- Site Hosting and Email – I pay about $20/month through GoDaddy
- Hosting = my website is being stored in some cloud somewhere by GoDaddy, so I don’t have to have a hideous supercomputer in my house
- Graphic Design – I’m working with the insanely talented Loretta Bobetich to get some sick logo designs for the site and soc-meds.
- Stock Photos – because not paying artists is not cool
- Education – Style Collective is an amazing resource for creating the best user experience for YOU, my lovelies. It comes at a hefty price, though – $99/year. Worth it, but definitely expensive.
- Photography – for some quality pics of myself that aren’t taken on an iPhone
- Do people still say “moolah?” Lemme know.
Here’s The Dealio:
- UPDATE! I switched the company I do ads with – I’m now using Google AdSense. I’m kind of nervous because I don’t have as much control over advertisements as I did before, but Google AdSense’s program is a better fit for me than what had been using. If there are weird ads, or the amount of ads is getting annoying, let me know!
- Affiliate Links
- These are links that you click on within an article – links to things like skincare products, clothes, and such.
- You may notice that when you click on some links, there will be a white screen that says “ShopStyle” before the page loads – that’s an affiliate link. I work with ShopStyle Collective to create link up apparel, accessories, and beauty products to my articles. Why SSC is useful to you: I can tag products to pics in my Instagram feed (see here) and I can search for a product through several retailers to get you the best price.
- Some links are pay-per-click, meaning a small amount (we’re talking penny – nickel) comes back to viperheart every time the link is clicked.
- Some links pay by a percentage of the sales earned (around 3-10%) – so viperheart only benefits if you actually make a purchase via that link.
- Example: FabFitFun Subscription Box. You can subscribe using the code FIRSTBOX using this link to receive $10 off your first order. For every box ordered through that link, viperheart gets $8. So really, you guys win on that one!
- Sponsors (AKA The Free Sh!t)
- Sometimes companies will send me free stuff in exchange for writing a blog and/or posting on social media about it.
- Example: Influenster. I write product reviews, fill out surveys, and they send me free products based on my profile and my audience.
- pro tip – you don’t need to be a blogger or an influencer to sign up for this site. You just have to fill out a bazillion product reviews, and you’ll start getting free stuff! This is a total PSA, not getting paid for saying it. You can get more info here.
- I will always let you know when an item has been given to me compliments of a company or marketing firm. BUT anything and everything I write about it is in my own words and my own opinion.